Built a truss structure within design parameters to sustain a central load. The building materials were straws, solid permeable foam, and connector pins. This was a team project and involved preliminary design stages where multiple designs were proposed as well as extensive analysis where MATLAB code was written to evaluate the forces in each member of the structure. Group work was structured with meeting minutes and assigned team member roles. During actual testing the truss failed at the predicted load and passed all design parameters.
- Work on a multidisciplinary team with assigned roles.
- Design an efficient truss without zero force members.
- Minimize cost of designed truss.
- Predict failure load and member.
- Write full design report.